Competitions 27th National Juried Exhibition
International Deadline: January 26, 2018 – Oil Painters of America will hold its 27th National Juried Exhibition of Representational Oil Paintings, June 1 through September 3, 2018 at Steamboat Art Museum in Steamboat Springs, CO.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
Open to artists residing in the U.S., Canada or Mexico.
Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years. Submission must be originally conceived. Works created in an instructional setting will not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
Approximately 25 awards will be given with a total value estimated in excess of $100,000, including a $25,000 Best of Show. Convention events will include a wet paint competition with total awards valued at $10,000 in both studio and plein air divisions, multiple demonstrations, interviews, discussions and exhibitors.
Juror of Awards will be renown Master Signature Artist Craig Tennant OPAM.
We are accepting entries online, see Prospectus for details. Artists must reside in the U.S., Canada or Mexico and be a paid 2018 member of OPA at an annual fee of $70. OPA is currently accepting new member applications here.
All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure. No NFS.
- January 26: Deadline for submissions
- February 23: Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
- April 9 through April 20: Both shipped and hand delivered artwork to arrive at Steamboat Art Museum
- May 29 Opening Day
- June 1 Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Awards Presentation: announcement of recipients of National awards, Wet Paint winners and introduction of newest Signature and Master Signature conferees at 8:15 p.m. at The Chief Theater
- June 1 through September 3: Length of time show will be open for viewing.
- September 4 through September 7: Local Artists: removal of paintings during this period. If not removed a storage fee will be charged.
Dedicated to preserving and promoting excellence in representational art, Oil Painters of America’s primary mission is to advance the cause of traditional, representational fine art by drawing attention to the lasting value of fine drawing, color, composition and the appreciation of light.
Through our national and regional shows, educational programs, scholarships and marketing efforts, OPA has become a leader in the art community and a driving force in the new Renaissance.
Oil Painters of America
P.O. Box 2488
Crystal Lake, Illinois 60039-2488